Subject: Technical Analysis - Information Sources
Last-Revised: 12 Dec 1996
Contributed-By: (Original author unknown), Chris Lott (contact me)
This article lists some sources of information for technical analysis, including books, magazines, and courses.
Books on Technical Analysis:
- Design, Testing, and Optimization of Trading Systems by Robert Pardo. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The Disciplined Trader by Mark Douglas of NYIF - 1990. ISBN 0-13-215757-8
- Elliott Wave Principle by A. J. Frost and Robert Prechter, New Classics Library, ISBN: 0-932750-07-9.
- Encyclopedia of Technical Market Indicators by Robert Colby and Thomas Meyers, Dow Jones Irwin.
- Market Wizards by Jack Swager
- The Mathematics of Technical Analysis by Clifford Sherry, 1992 Probus Publishing, ISBN 1-55738-462-2
- New Market Wizards by Jack Swager
- Patterns for Profits by Sherman McClellan, Foundation for the Study of Cycles, 900 W. Valley Rd. Suite 502, Wayne, PA 19087, 215-995-2120.
- Proceedings, Second Annual conference on Artificial Intelligence
- Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets, by Stan Weinstein, Dow Jones-Irwin.
- Technical Analysis, by Clifford Sherry, 1992 Probus Publishing, ISBN 1-55738-462-2.
- Technical Analysis Explained, by Martin J. Pring, McGraw-Hill, 3rd ed. 1991, ISBN 0-07-051042-3.
- Technical Analysis of the Futures Markets, by John J. Murphy of NY Institute of Finance, Prentice Hall, 1986, ISBN 0-13-898008-X.
- Study Guide for Technical Analysis of the Futures Markets: A self-training manual, by John Murphy (the most comprehensive book on the subject).
- Technical Analysis of Stock Trends, by Edwards and Magee (a serious study of classical charting techniques).
- The Major Works of R. N. Elliott, edited by Robert Prechter, New Classics Library.
- Timing the Market: HOW TO PROFIT IN BULL AND BEAR MARKETS WITH TECHNICAL ANALYSIS, by Weiss Research (a good introductory text for those using METASTOCK PROFESSIONAL and want to make money with it).
Sources for books on technical analysis:
- TRADERS PRESS, INC., P.O. BOX 10344, Greenville, S.C. 29603, (800)927-8222, (803)-298-0222, FAX: (803)-298-0221. Offer a 40+ page catalog, nice folks, great service. VI/MC/AX accepted.
- TRADER'S WORLD, 2508 Grayrock Street, Springfield, MO 65810, (800)288-4266, (417) 298-0221. Puts out a quarterly magazine (mostly junk) with discounted Technical Analysis books (usually 10% cheaper than elsewhere). VI/MC/AX accepted.
- New Classics Library, Inc., P.O. Box 1618, Gainesville, GA 30503.
Books on options pricing:
- Continuous Time Finance, by Robert Merton
- The Elements of Successful Trading, by Rotella, Robert P., 1992
- Options as a Strategic Investment, by McMillan, Lawrence G., New York Inst. of Finance, 2nd edition, 1986, ISBN 0-13-638347-5.
- Options Markets, by Cox, J.C and Rubenstein, M., Prentice-Hall, 1985.
- Options: Essential Trading Concepts and Trading Strategies, Edited by The Options Intsitute, 1990, Business One Irwin, ISBN 1-55623-102-4.
- Options, Futures, and Other Derivative Securities, by Hull, J., Prentice-Hall, 1989.
- Options: Theory, Strategy, and Apllications, by Ritchken, P, Scott, Foresman, 1987.
- Option Pricing, by Jarrow, R. A., Irwin, 1983.
- Option Volatility and Pricing Strategies, by Natenberg, Shelly
- Theory of Financial Decision Making, by Ingersoll
Magazines on technical analysis:
- Technical Analysis of Stocks & Commodities
4757 California Ave. SW, Seattle, WA 98116-4499, 800-832-4642, (206) 938-0570. 1 yr. - $64.95 -- 12 issues
Everything explained at the level of the beginner, however you should complete a course before getting this magazine. Best part is building a library by buying the bound back issues -- worth every penny.
- Futures - commodities, options & derivatives
800-221-4352 Ext. 1000
1 yr. - $39.00 - 12 issues
- NeuroVe$t Journal
Pub. by Randall B. Caldwell, PO Box 764, Haymarket, VA 22069-0764, email: email@example.com
$75(US)/yr, published bi-monthly
- Traders Cataloge and Resource Guide
- Traders World Magazine
Published every 3 months, $15 per year
A self-paced course on technical analysis:
The Technical Analysis Course by Thomas Meyers
An introductory course covering: Stochastics, RSI, Trendline/chanels, Support/resistance, Point and Figure, Oscillators, Moving averages, Volume & Open Interest, Chart construction, Gaps, Reversal Patterns, and Consolidation formations. Easy read for someone new that doesn't want to be intimidated.
Previous article is Technical Analysis: Elliott Wave Theory
Next article is Technical Analysis: MACD
Category is Technical Analysis|
Index of all articles